Monday, July 10, 2017

A Big Weekend with a Surprise

Big weekend in triathlon training in our house a couple weekends ago.   A few days later and my legs were still screaming for mercy.  Actual, my butt might have complained louder.  It's was a toss up.

Rain, rain and more rain meant a 6 hour ride on the trainer on Friday morning.  Hmm.  I found the first hour hard then I seem to settle down and get into a rhythm and the final hour was also tough because I was sick of being on the bike, didn't want to watch anything or do anything except get off.  But at least the last hour has the promise of a job completed.  That feels good.

Watched 2 of the early Kona Ironman videos; 2005, 2006.  They are about an hour and a half long each, were very interesting, totally captivating and engaging in their entirety.  The age group coverage matched the pro coverage and the stories of so many athletes and their cause was very motivational. At times I found myself pedaling faster with motivation and other times, I was fighting back the tears.  People crossing the finish line get me every time.  Especially the story of Jon "Blazeman" Blais who was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease and competed at Kona 5 months later to then return the following year in a wheelchair to cheer on Brian Breen, who was carrying the torch of awareness for ALS.
If you want to read about his story click here.

During my 6 hour ride, I consumed 4  bottles (20 oz each) of electrolytes (Generation UCAN electrolyte mix with 1 scoop of HydraMag).  My goal is 1 bottle in 1 1/2 hours.  I also used UCAN superstarch 4 scoops in a 24 oz bottle.  I mix the lemon and pomegranate flavours together.  I also had a cookie dough Quest bar, a banana and a 1/2 p b and honey sandwich on flatbread.  I drink and eat mostly to thirst/hunger but I do try to take 3 mouthfuls of the UCAN superstarch every 45 min.

Oatmeal with nut butter for recovery as well as a 26 oz bottle of phytoberry and another 26 oz bottle of HydraMag through the next couple hours.  I was tired and legs were a bit sore, but I seem to get sore muscles after an effort and then the next day feel fine.  Just over 90 miles in that 6 hour effort.  On the roads, I think it would be very close to 100 but the trainer is a hard workout in my opinion.

Saturday morning was another trainer ride, still raining.  I wanted to get 50 miles in and anything more would be a bonus.

Good ride.  UCAN superstarch, UCAN electrolyte with HydraMag and a Quest Bar in just around 3 1/2 hours.
Watched a lot of House Hunters on HGTV.  Did some reading and time passed.

Got gussied up Saturday night for an evening out with the kids to celebrate the many achievements in the past few weeks.  Wallet was lighter, belly heavier.
I so badly want them to remember the moments and not take things for granted.  I want them to have memories of suppers together like this to remind them that we care and support them and want them to know how proud we are of them.

Sunday started with a 2 1/2 hour run on the backyard trails.  Wore my hydration vest with my usual UCAN electrolyte/HyraMag mix and UCAN superstarch for fuel.  Day was beautiful: sunny and warm.
Plunked myself down in the river after to soak my legs.  Water was cooler than I thought it would be and my feet hurt for a little while- you know that brain freeze kind of hurt when they are really cold. But I got used to it.
The surprise part of the day came a few hours later when our youngest daughter insisted that we go driving with her (practice for getting her license) and when we returned, our driveway and backyard was filled with vehicles and friends and family.  The kids had planned a surprise anniversary party for us.  Our anniversary wasn't for another 10 days but with the kids jobs this summer, it would have been very hard to coordinate something closer to the actual date.

25 years- yep and he still makes my heart beat faster.

I am NOT a real party kind of girl.  To be honest, wished the marriage would have started with an elopement instead of the big shin dig that it was with 300 guests and me on display.  So if the kids would have asked if we wanted a party, I would have most certainly said absolutely no.  But in reflection, having a few of our closest friends and family over to celebrate with us was kinda nice.  Thank goodness the majority of people invited (extended family and other acquaintances) couldn't come due to another event.  Sounds bad but is the truth.  I was really happy with the small gathering.

It was a beautiful day, especially more so with the bad weather we have been having so we spent the evening sitting around in the backyard just enjoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment