Well, I have been home for only 1 week but Oceanside 70.3 last Saturday feels like a LONG time ago. Funny how "real" life can make a holiday such a distant memory.
What is very clear however, is the fact that there are many things in life that are tough and require more from us. I had a couple times during Ironman Oceanside that were hard. That's the way it should be in my thinking. Expecting to do a 70.3 and not dig deep at some point is unrealistic thinking.
A lot of details from that day may fade from my memory but the fact that I persevered and didn't stop won't fade.
And it is good that these thoughts are so vividly real as I need them this week.
I am running a marathon this Friday.
Can you keep a secret?
I am trying to qualify for Boston.
And I am really scared, nervous, excited,....
Is that the craziness of taper? The bouncing around between the great and scary?
Everyone in my house has a cold right now. Nurse Lesley was on call all weekend.
What's worse than a sick kid?
A sick husband.
What's worse than a sick husband?
A sick husband and 2 sick kids.
Hokey moley. Between the chicken noodle soup making, dimetab, nyquil, buckley's, deliveries, feet rubbing with essential oils, vapor rubbing on the chest and restocking kleenex- it's been busy.
I am so thankful this is the first time in a long while we have had colds.
So, my confidence is on the low side right now for being able to accomplish my goal. 3:50 marathon goal time. This will be my first stand alone marathon. Only ran a marathon while doing an Ironman.
The questions/reflections I have for the marathon veterans for the week before a marathon:
1. Is it normal to feel like crap?
2. Are the emotions supposed to be up and down like a bride's pj's?
3. Is there like a "Lead Fairy" that pours lead into your legs when you aren't looking?
4. Should you feel a bit more crazy than normal?
5. That email that came today that says I have another day left to switch from the full to the half= and I am giving it serious thought. Normal?
6.Checking the weather 6 x a day to see the forecast for Friday, not the least bit obsessive right?
7. I really, really want to eat a lot of ice cream!
8. I got a blister from my last easy run- a sign that this is not going to be?
9. Wondering why I can't be take up a sport like channel surfing or bird watching?
10. And finally, asking myself a zillion times a day who's stupid idea this was. Normal too?