Tuesday, May 28, 2013


Good morning friends.

It is Tues and my routine is totally different today.  I am home from work (though they have already called 3x and it is only 10 am), I am inside house cleaning as it is raining quite hard outside (really I am).   I don't know exactly where to start in here as I have not been inside for any length of time for 10 days.  My time has been focused on work, feeding my family and helping with the farm seeding.  That has all changed for just a day and I am embracing a break in the usual.

I have my garden planted, a whole bunch of shrubs and cedar trees planted and a big flower bed project done so I am happy for the moisture.  I might even sneak a nap in today.  I am so excited about my garden, well gardens as I technically have 3. I need a special spot for different things that I plant.  One garden is small and grows the cucumbers, pumpkins, melons, zucchini and squash.  Another garden at our main farm grows the potatoes and corn.  The garden by my house grows all the rest (beans, peas, carrots, onions, cabbage, kale, tomatoes, asparagus, swiss chard, etc as well as all my fruit like strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, saskatoons, cherries and hascaps.  I can't wait to start eating!  I don't always like the weeding part but that it all part of eating all the wonderful, homegrown foods.

Well, last post was pretty heavy.  Last weekend was supposed to be my marathon weekend which of course was changing to either the half or 10 km.  But, it actually changed to nothing.  Nope, didn't go.  We were too busy in the fields and with rain coming this week, we couldn't leave on Saturday in time to get to packet pickup in time.  To be honest, my husband and I were so tired that the runs would have only been a fun run basically and the travel time would have just drained us totally.  9 hours of travel in 24 hours with a run in there would have not set us up for a good week.  Instead, the morning of the race, we both had a great early morning run together, I ran 7 he ran 10.  We showered up and got back into bed for some more sleep.  Had a great day with the kids so it all worked out good.  This is the first time we were no shows and I regret losing the money but sometimes I think it is unavoidable.

I have still been working hard on strengthening so many of the glute, leg, abductor muscles to hopefully get the IT band happy again.  My knee did start to get sore at the 6 1/2 mile mark so I know I am making progress.  The week before long run was 3 1/2 miles before I needed to stop.  I have been running stairs at the local grand stand, doing 747's, squats, exercises with the resistance band, pistol squats (can't do these yet as they are sooo tough or I am sooo weak)  I am hoping I can run in 3 weeks at the next run I have registered in.  It is the Manitoba Marathon and I am registered to run a 1/2.  Last year, my goal was to set a new PR which I did do and I was hoping I could do the same this year. The middle of June is a nice time to run a fast race for me as the busyness of seeding is over and I have a bit more time to train.

I have rode my tri bike into town a few times and last night my husband and I went for a 16 mile ride in the rain.  We weren't concerned with time but more with care as little tires and wet roads can spell disaster. It was an opportunity though and they are rare so we took it.  It is an uphill ride the first half and then back down hill on the return.  Good workout.  We are going to sneak out today to the high school and do some track repeats in the next hour.  Sometimes the training is all over the place but when you get a chance, you need to capitalize on it, the messy house will still be here when I get back.

My daughter had her track and field meet last week.  They had a great day and she had lots of fun and placed in some of her events.  If you place in the first track meet, you go onto the the championship meet which is this Friday.  I'd better start thinking of ways to calm her stomach.  She gets so nervous.  I loved track meets when I was a youngster.  They rated second after Christmas in my books!  I was so nervous the night before I usually barely slept so I totally get where she is coming from.

Well, gotta go, my shorts are calling my name.  Have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment